Saturday, March 29, 2014

'The Good Wife': Five Tragic Turning Points for Will and Alicia--Was It Really All About Bad Timing?

The Good Wife Alicia Florrick Will's death phone call photos pictures screencaps
That fateful phone call...



I still haven't gotten over the big twist on "The Good Wife," and while I understand some of the reasoning behind taking the show in this new direction, I still don't approve. I often feel like character death is an easy out. It's considered the "brave" choice, but I think it takes a lot more creativity to find a believable way around a character leaving a show, rather than just opting out for the easy emotional payoff.

But "The Good Wife" has always been immensely skilled at shocking the hell out of viewers and turning our expectations inside out, so they definitely kept that trend going here. I'll still be tuning in to see where the show goes next, because any disagreements I have and have had with the show's choices haven't warranted me ditching a series with such excellent writing and fantastic characters (especially female characters). Hopefully they won't let me down going forward, but I'm always going to resent them slamming the door on a Will/Alicia reunion.

I'm not the only one who got rattled by the abrupt end of Willicia. When the character death on "The Good Wife" had loyal viewers flooding every entertainment site, forum, and social media outlet to vent all of their shock and outrage, the creators of the show decided to address fans in an open letter. One of their reasons for killing off Will Gardner, said Michelle and Robert King, was that "to us, there always was a tragedy at the center of Will and Alicia's relationship: the tragedy of bad timing." Was that really all it was? (Click to read the rest of our story on Yahoo.)




PHOTO: Julianna Margulies as Alicia Florrick on "The Good Wife", screencap 2014, CBS, fair use.

2 comments:

  1. Please learn to keep spoilers out of your post titles. You've ruined the Good Wife for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My title doesn't give away the twist, and the show aired last week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin